The Chief Executive Officer, CEO, of Innoson Group, Innocent Chukwuma, has been arrested by the operatives of the Economic! and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC.
The development was made public in a series of tweets on Tuesday by the indigenous automobile company, where it disclosed that its CEO was arrested without prior invitation.
Innoson accused GTB of being behind the arrest, an allegation the company denied.
The company wrote via @innosonmotors, “GTB vs Innoson ‘illegal Arrest’ hundreds of factory workers from Innoson factory Emene Enugu protests the illegal bundling of Innoson to Lagos by EFCC organised by GTB.
“Like a commando style, GTB uses EFFC to storm Innoson Enugu Residential Home to bundle him to Lagos like a common criminal without any prior invitation.
In November, the company said the police had withdrawn the charges against Chukwuma.
The dispute between the company and GTB began in 2012.
In a couple of hours, The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, released a statement on why it arrested owner of INNOSON Motors, Chief Innocent Chukwuma.
The EFCC said it arrested Chukwuma following his refusal to honor its invitation after jumping an administrative bail.
Spokesman to the anti-graft agency, Wilson Uwujaren, confirmed that the INNOSON boss is being investigated at the moment
ACCORDING TO THE STATEMENT, “A WELL KNOWN INDUSTRIALIST CHIEF INNOCENT CHUKWUMA POPULARLY KNOWN BY HIS COMPANY’S NAME, INNOSON, HAS BEEN ARRESTED BY THE ECONOMIC AND FINANCIAL CRIMES COMMISSION, EFCC .
“HE WAS PICKED UP AT ABOUT 11AM AT HIS SAVAGE CRESCENT , GRA ENUGU RESIDENCE TODAY TUESDAY DECEMBER 19, 2017.
“HIS ARREST FOLLOWED HIS REFUSAL TO HONOUR INVITATION BY THE COMMISSION HAVING EARLIER JUMPED AN ADMINISTRATIVE BAIL GRANTED HIM IN A CASE BEING INVESTIGATED BY THE CAPITAL MARKET AND INSURANCE FRAUD UNIT OF THE COMMISSION’S LAGOS OFFICE.
“CHUKWUMA RATHER THAN HONORING INVITATION BY THE EFCC, MOBILIZED SIX TRUCK LOADS OF THUGS PRETENDING TO BE STAFF OF HIS COMPANY TO HIS RESIDENCE, WHERE THEY MANHANDLED EFCC OPERATIVES.
“IT TOOK REINFORCEMENT FROM THE ENUGU OFFICE OF THE EFCC TO EFFECT THE ARREST OF THE INDUSTRIALIST WHO IS CURRENTLY BEING GRILLED BY A TEAM OF INVESTIGATORS.
RE: EFCC Releases Innoson on Bail
Dr Innocent Chukwuma (OFR) was this evening released by Economic and Financial Crimes Commission. He initially refused to leave their premises because the Commission did not officially communicate to him why he was arrested like a common criminal.
After carefully reading through the Commissions Press release on their Official Facebook page tonight, we deem it fit to tell Nigerians who has stood and supported Dr Innocent Chukwuma in no small measure during his unjust detention by the EFCC the truth and our own side of the story.
1. First and foremost, We reiterate that EFCC’s claim that they invited Dr Innocent Chukwuma (INNOSON) and he refused to honour same invite as false. We urge them to show Nigerians dated proof that he was duly invited by the Commission. Dr Chukwuma is a man of impeccable character and a law abiding citizen. He will never disrespect or disregard a constituted authority.
2. The Commissions claim that that Dr Chukwuma resisted arrest is laughable. His residence was raided at 5am. They don’t expect him to run out and hand himself to whoever it was that came for him. He waited to be sure about the identity of the people that invaded his premises before coming out. Dr Chukwuma has nothing to hide or be afraid of.
3. EFCC alleged that Dr Chukwuma hired Six truck-loads of thugs to manhandle operatives of the Commission. This is preposterous. The people that invaded Dr Chukwuma’s residence were armed to the teeth. How can people without arms attack fully armed operatives of the commission?
The supposedly thugs are well meaning Nigerians who are making an honest living from Innoson Group. They merely came to protest and show solidarity to their Chairman who was about being whisked away in a gestapo styled arrest.
The commission also claimed no single shot was fired despite the provocation. This is a figment of their imagination. This is a clear deviation from the truth. Innocent protesting workers were teargased. We have images to back up this claim.
4. The Commission said Dr Innocent Chukwuma and his Brother Mr Charles Chukwuma is being investigated for forgery. Can they show Nigerians a dated Petition to them and who the petition came from.
5. Finally, We would like Nigerians to know that we have a dispute with Guarantee Trust Bank which arose from a business deal that went wrong. This case is on final appeal at the Supreme Court. We won’t want to comment on this because it will be subjudice to do so.
We implore everyone to wait till The Judiciary which remains the final arbiter to adjudicate and give their judgement in this matter.
We have been harassed and extremely provoked as a company since this issue arose but we have kept faith in our Legal system.
For Innoson Group:
Head Corporate Communications